I’m so late in posting this that I wondered if I even should. I did keep track of the state of most things, but June and July were a bit intense for me (work situation change), so I completely forgot about the actual public post. So I’ll write this as if it was actually end of June (when really, it’s mid-August). The 3-month check-in post is over here, and the original goal setting one over here.
- get better at working out by myself more (e.g. one proper session a week out of class?)
Yes, I’ve stuck with my home workout plan during lockdown better than I initially expected. I will admit that by myself I don’t push myself as hard as I would in the gym, so the results aren’t quite the same. On the other hand I’ve now tried some online yoga classes, which has been nice.
- if we move, explore studios and options in the new city
Moving is planned for late August, so will check in on this in the next review.
- if possible, sign up to participate in another competition or showcase
This seems pretty unlikely given the current situation, but I’ll leave it up here in case that changes.
- doing better at Spartan, or a different OCR (skill-wise this means handling advanced monkey bars)
A lot of OCRs have also been cancelled, or could be in the future, so I likely won’t do one this year. I haven’t had access to any monkey bars for over 3 months now, so I doubt that’s improved…
Copied from last review, but still relevant: A big part of the review is not just measuring progress, but also reviewing whether the goals actually still make sense. As mentioned, in light of the current situation, most of the goals in the above section (apart from the first one) are “on pause” until the world normalises again. I’ll review this again in three months time.
- holding L-sit for at least 5s (starting off: ~0 straight, ~5s each side)
I held it a couple of times for almost five seconds, but it’s not consistent.
- holding shoulderstand for at least 5s (starting off: 0, but tuck feels easy)
The parallettes I have at home are very low, so it’s hard to train proper shoulderstand. I often end up practicing something close to cheststand. I can hold that for a little while, it’s not really the same.
- 8 pull ups (or chin ups) in a row (starting off: 3, but I had 5 a couple months ago) (stretch 10)
Haha, I think I’m probably down to one here.
- active (almost) flat front split (standing or inverted) (starting off: probably about 5-10cm away)
Frankly I’m not sure how I actually measure this last time; but I think it hasn’t changed much.
- visible progress on middle split (starting off >30cm from the floor)
Sadly I pulled something on the inside side of my right leg, which has hampered my flexibily on that side for a month or two.
- visible progress towards drop back to the floor (starting off about 60cm from the floor)
My current best is still around 45cm from the floor (bench, arguably couch), but the ones to the bed feel much more stable.
- visible progress towards pistol squat (maybe at least right angle in bent leg)
If I hold on to something, I can do a few on each side, but definitely not quite there yet. I can do some on the stepladder, which is slightly lower than the bench. Maybe I need more surfaces of helpful heights… I did get cossack squat though!
- hoop: front balance, hands off
- hoop: single leg hocks circles (currently: 1-2s)
No chance to practice hoop and test these two out, sadly.
- toes to bar with straight legs
I’ve practiced this a bit on a tree in the park, but the set up hasn’t been ideal. I don’t think I’ve progressed much further.
- muscle up (of any kind)
Every part of this has suffered during lockdown: pull ups, straight bar dips, and wrist strength…
- pincha and/or handstand
I can actually kind of kick up into a handstand next to a wall now. It’s not with good control – my head or back will typically hit the wall, but at least I’ve gotten over part of that debilitating fear. I can walk up and tentatively hold pincha with walls on both sides.
- crow – headstand transition
The reverse transition (headstand -> crow) is succesful occasionally. Crow -> headstand still feels too scary without any kind of pillow.
- shoulderstand – L-sit transition
See separate goals – haven’t made much progress in joining these together.
- single arm hang for 10s and single arm scapula pulls (the main barrier towards working on this is paranoia about re-injuring my right shoulder)
Can do a couple scapula pulls (little ones) and hold briefly, but I don’t think I’ve improved.
- some new arm balances – single leg crow maybe?
I’m still working on single leg crow slowly. In general I have been practicing more arm balancing, but I’m not sure if I’ve got any really new ones; the ones that are still out of reach either require intense flexibility (e.g. leg behind head) or strength (e.g. single leg crow).
- weakly defined, but progress on side body: some kind of flag/meathook perhaps
Continuing with side planks, but no way to test either flag or meathook at the moment.
Overall, progress has been thrown off a bit. Quarantine, flat and work situation haven’t helped. To some extent that’s excuses – if I’m honest with myself I could have at the very least done more core work, for example. Some parts are still on track. Nothing can be crossed off the list quite yet. I’m looking forward to outdoor gyms and eventually indoor gyms opening again. I probably won’t get to enjoy them for long before moving, which will then be a new challenge.